by Emily Alvarado
We need you this Red Kettle season
This year’s annual Red Kettle campaign starts November 26th and we need you to be a volunteer bell ringer! Red Kettles have been a trademark of the Salvation Army for more than 100 years. Christmas shopping wouldn’t be the same without the greeting of a Salvation Army bell ringer. It’s one of the many traditions that make Christmas special – for us, and for those who will benefit when we drop our donation in the Red Kettle. Learn more about how you can get involved here.
10 Reasons you should be a Bell Ringer this Christmas
1. It’s fun! This is a great way to celebrate the holiday season. You get to be right in the midst of the holiday bustle. Get creative – dress up, sing songs, bring your friends!
2. You’ll spread Christmas cheer. The Red Kettle bell is an iconic sound of the season. You’ll put people in the Christmas spirit! If you’re up for it, you can even use the time to check caroling off your list of festivities.
3. You’ll be part of changing lives. The Salvation Army in Austin provides food, clothing, shelter and other social services to those in need. Last year the Salvation Army served more than 400,000 people – that’s about 1,100 a day.
4. The money you raise directly impacts your community. All donations made in Austin stay in Austin. The Salvation Army is the largest provider of basic needs services to those experiencing homelessness in Williamson and Travis Counties. By helping raise funds through a Red Kettle, you’re a neighbor helping neighbors.
5. It’s easy! No experience required. It takes as little as two hours on a Saturday. Sign up here!
6. It’s the perfect opportunity to wear a tacky Christmas sweater. After hanging in your closet all year, it’s time for the annual debut. Dressing up makes bell ringing more fun, and might get some extra smiles out of Christmas shoppers.
7. “Make new friends, and keep the old.” You’ll get to meet lots of new people as you invite them to donate to your red kettle. Add to the fun by asking friends and family to ring a bell with you. You can even make it a new tradition!
8. Channel your competitive side. For you goal-oriented types, it’s easy to see how your work is paying off as your Red Kettle fills up! See how many people you can convince to give to your Red Kettle.
9. Take advantage of the cool winter air! It doesn’t stick around for long. Dust off those winter coats and sip on some cider or hot cocoa.
10. Be part of a legacy. The Salvation Army Red Kettle campaign has been a Christmas tradition since 1891. Salvation Army Captain Joseph McFee set out a kettle to raise funds to feed the hungry in San Francisco. Now Red Kettles can be found all over the world in places like Japan, Chile and countries in Europe.
by Emily Alvarado
Red Kettle 2014
The 2014 Red Kettle campaign kicks off soon. It begins November 26th and goes through Christmas Eve.
This year marks the 124th year of The Salvation Army Red Kettle campaign. Last year donors across the country gave almost $136 million, which provided more than 30 million people with food, shelter and social services. Donors in Austin raised $229,000, which helped serve more than 400,000 people in Travis and Williamson Counties.
Holiday donations make up the majority of funds used to provide services to people in Austin year round. Red Kettles make change happen, so this year the Salvation Army needs your help.
Four Ways to Get Involved
1. Drop a donation in one of the Salvation Army’s Red Kettles at stores or companies across Austin between November 26th and Christmas Eve.
2. Sign up to be a volunteer Bell Ringer! Make a difference by giving just two hours on a Saturday. You can sign up with friends and family, and throw on your favorite ugly Christmas sweater! Check out our bell ringer page for more information.
4. Host your own Red Kettle – online! Use email and social media to invite friends and family to donate. You can sign up individually or with a team. Start your online Kettle now: OnlineRedKettle.org.
Volunteer to be a Salvation Army Bell Ringer this Christmas
You can help a lot of people simply by being a bell ringer. Every day people come to The Salvation Army for assistance in meeting the emergencies of life. By bell ringing at a Salvation Army “Red Kettle”, you can help raise the funds that are needed to provide these necessary services at Christmas and throughout the New Year. All donations stay right here in Travis and Williamson Counties, which make us simply neighbors helping neighbors ~ 365 days a year.
With as little as two hours of your time and the wonderful support from stores in Austin, Round Rock, Georgetown and Cedar Park, you can be part of our Salvation Army Bell Ringing Team! You can be a volunteer bell ringer on Saturdays from November 26 through December 24, or groups may sign up for weekdays or Saturdays at the following locations: The Domain, Barton Creek Square Mall, Lakeline Mall, Sam’s Club or Hobby Lobby at La Frontera, and Wolf Ranch in Georgetown.
Ring with a Group – Your Family, Church, Organization or Company
Encourage “Red Kettle Days” for your business, civic organization, church or neighborhood and make a difference in the lives of real people in our community. You can also be a virtual bell ringer and host your own on-line red kettle as a business or individual.
Back this year by popular demand are red kettle sponsorships where individuals, businesses or organizations can sponsor a Red Kettle for a day or more. You can also use our Paper Kettle program at the point of sale for your business and offer your customers a convenient way to donate to The Salvation Army, especially during the peak holiday season.
Sign up Today to be a Bell Ringer!
If you are interested in volunteer as a bell ringer, please see our red kettle volunteer opportunities or email Donna_Clendennen@USS.SalvationArmy.org. Volunteer bell ringer shifts will be added soon, and if you don’t see a shift on the volunteer page that works for you, check back soon because we will be adding more opportunities.